Social Media plays an enormous role in marketing. It’s important to keep up to date with the latest trends and know which social media channels your prospects are using. We’ve checked out the statistics for 2020!
Social Media users in Australia are some of the most active in the world, with a total of around 60% of the country’s population an active user on Facebook, and 50% of the country logging onto Facebook at least once a day.
Google Plus recently had a security issue where user data was exposed and the incident was kept quiet for several months. As a result, Google Plus has been shut down. This isn’t entirely surprising as this social network never really gained traction in Australia.
Video is also a very popular medium in Australia with around 15 million Australian visitors to the YouTube website every month.
Social Media Statistics Australia – January 2020
1. Facebook – 16,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (steady)
2. YouTube – 15,000,000 Unique Australian Visitors per month (UAVs)
3. Instagram – 9,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (FB/ Instagram data)
4. WhatsApp – 7,000,000 Active Australian Users
5. Snapchat – 6,400,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Snapchat data)
6. WordPress.com – 5,800,000
7. LinkedIn – 5,500,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
8. Twitter – 5,300,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
9. Tumblr – 3,700,000
10. Tinder – 3,000,000 Australian users
11. WeChat – 2,900,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
12. TripAdvisor – 2,800,000
13. Yelp – 1,500,000
14. Blogspot- 1,200,000
15. Flickr – 450,000
16. Pinterest – 290,000
17. Reddit – 110,000
18. MySpace – 70,000
19. RenRen – 70,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
20. StumbleUpon – 39,000
21. Weibo – 35,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
22. Foursquare/Swarm – 10,000
23. Digg – 10,000
24. Periscope – 9,000
25. Delicious – 7,000
Key Points to Note:
- Instagram has removed the Likes from photos in Australia so users are not solely focussing on such a vain metric.
- Due to a security flaw, user data being exposed and overall small user update – Google Plus has been shut down.
- Snapchat has grown significantly in Australia and now has 6.3 million monthly active users and 4.5 million daily active users in Australia.
- Approx 50% of the Australian population logs into Facebook on a daily basis.
- WhatsApp has close to 6 million active users in Australia
- Tier 2/3 networks such as Flickr, Pinterest, Google Plus, StumbleUpon whilst have more popularity in the US, have not caught mainstream use in Australia.
- A large proportion of the Chinese community in Australia use Chinese social media tools like WeChat, RenRen and Weibo and these networks are growing.
- LinkedIn now reports there are 10 million + registered users in Australia. According to our research – just over half of this number log in every month.
Creating a post on Instagram is like baking your favourite dessert. There are several ingredients and elements you need to make it engaging and tingle your audiences tastebuds!
Here are the four fundamental ingredients:
There are two basic content elements, which consists of visuals and text. Content is the driving force of your creation! Without content, your profile may generate low engagement.
Every post should have a visual component, whether it be an image, video, GIF or even a quote. Secondly, a really engaging Instagram post has a captivating caption that the audience can easily understand. Posts that draw on emotion or that are relatable are always more enticing and valuable to your audience.
Keep your Instagram profile consistent. Your audience wants to know YOUR flavour! They want to be able to quickly distinguish and differentiate your profile compared to others they’ve seen before. You want your audience to understand who you are, what you do and how you do it from a quick glance. It is absolutely crucial that they can connect with your brand within a few scrolls and clicks.
Every once in a while it’s good to sprinkle a bit of collaboration into your Instagram. The beauty of collaboration is that more people get to see who you are, and you get to expose your brand through well-known profiles. When you combine your content with influencers or accounts that compliment your products/services, you enable potential followers to creep on your profile in confidence! By teaming up with credible influencers, it can help raise your online presence and build trust between you and your audience.
Lastly, pour in a generous amount of creativity, and it’ll add extra richness to your content! You’ll find that something as simple as hashtags, emoji’s and GIFs can spice up your creation. Delight your audience with bright colours and eye-catching content. Instagram is very visual, use this to your advantage and leverage off editing tools to create an irresistible double-tap post.